Record Elements print all
Record ID CRID:85
Type of record Single Monument
Date of record 19-02-2013
Registrar Natasa Michailidou
Rights for record
Notes -


Main Monument Table
Monument type Immovable Monument
Monument Code CHURCH0056

Monument Name The Dormition of Virgin Mary Church in Ilinden

Related Institution Holy Diocese of Nevrokop
Location Name Ilinden
Date of construction
Short Description It is a vast, three-nave pseudo-basilica, without a dome, with a narthex to the west and to the south. The construction is made out of stones. The roof cornice is also made of stones. Nearby the southeast corner, adjacent to the church, a belfry, not very high, has been erected. A small chapel called “The Three Saints” is attached to the north wall. It was built together with the church in 1828-1831.
The interior is divided into three naves by 2 lines of columns. A large women compartment is available in the naos. The ceilings are high and even.




Monument Classification
Monument type Immovable Monument
Monument type according to form
Monument type according to use
Monument type according to construction
Monument type according to location
Architectural type
Notes




Code
Code CHURCH0056

Other Codes
Source / Origin




Name
Monument Name The Dormition of Virgin Mary Church in Ilinden

Source / Origin




Institution
Related Institution Holy Diocese of Nevrokop




Origin / Location
Location Name Ilinden
Address
Prefecture
Country
Coordinates Χ1
Coordinates Χ2
Coordinates Y1
Coordinates Y2
Coordinates Z1
Coordinates Z2
Meausurement Method
Measurement Accuracy
Geodetic Coordinate System
Notes
Map location




Short Description
Short Description It is a vast, three-nave pseudo-basilica, without a dome, with a narthex to the west and to the south. The construction is made out of stones. The roof cornice is also made of stones. Nearby the southeast corner, adjacent to the church, a belfry, not very high, has been erected. A small chapel called “The Three Saints” is attached to the north wall. It was built together with the church in 1828-1831.
The interior is divided into three naves by 2 lines of columns. A large women compartment is available in the naos. The ceilings are high and even.




Construction
Construction Phase -
Description of construction
Related Person -
Related Institution / Workshop -
Date of construction
Historical period -
Surrounding built environment
Construction technique
Architectural type
Construction materials
State of completion
Digital representation
Notes


Decoration
Decoration Phase Primary decoration
Decoration Type Painting
Decoration theme Dormition of Virgin Mary, the Six Days of the Creation, Saints, Great Feasts, Deesis, Christ the Great Arch-Hierarch.

Location of decoration
Description of decoration There are no frescoes, excluding the patronal south niche where the Dormition scene is depicted and the west façade with the Virgin Mary and the infant Jesus Christ.
The sub-icon panels are desplaying scenes from the Six Days and the Old Testament. 10 icons stand on the sovereign tier. Three of them (the Virgin Mary with the infant Jesus, Saint Nicolas and Lord Jesus Christ Omnipotent) were painted by an unknown painter in 1824. The rest of the icons were painted by Dimitar Molerov in 1833 – 1835 and they are as follows: Saint George on Horseback, Saint Demetrius, Archangel Michael, Saint John the Forerunner, Saint Teodor and the Ascension of Lord Jesus Christ. The only dated and signed icons are those of the Holy Archangel Michael (1833) and the Ascension of Jesus (1835) – among the earliest known works of the Bansko painter. He painted also the icons on the festive tier (13 icons) and the Deesis, as well as Christ the Great Arch-Hierarch.
The refined carving on the royal doors and the space above, as well as the canvases with the Annunciation and the Icon of the Savior „Image Not-Made-By-Hands“, are the works of masters from Samokov Iconographic School. They have also painted six other icons in „The Three Saints“ chapel: Mother of God the Merciful, Jesus Christ Omnipotent, Saint John the Baptist, The Three Saints, Saint John of Rila and a Shroud of the Mother of God. The name of the donor was written on four of them – monk Ephraim. Most likely, the icons were ordered and delivered by the Rila Monastery in 1837 – 1838, at that time the central church of the monastery was also painted. The same donor employed Ivan the Icon Painter from Samokov, who was a student of Hristo Dimitrov - the founder of the Iconographic School. The carving undoubtedly belongs to Atanas Teladur, the one who made the monumental wood-carved iconostasis in the main church of the Rila monastery. Other icons (1890) were painted by Dimitar Nedelchev from the village of Kara Kioi – Nevrokop region.
Related Person -
Related Institution -
Date of decoration
Decoration style
Decoration technique
Decoration materials
Condition of Decoration
Digital representation
Notes -


Testimonies
Type of testimony Written
Date of testimony
2012 AD
Location of testimony -
Description of testimony Written informative text from the Diocese of Nevrokop
Related Person -
Related Institution Holy Diocese of Nevrokop
Notes -