Record Elements print all
Record ID CRID:68
Type of record Single Monument
Date of record 28-11-2012
Registrar Natasa Michailidou
Rights for record
Notes -


Main Monument Table
Monument type Immovable Monument
Monument Code CHURCH0047

Monument Name Sts. Peter and Paul church in Dobrinishte
Related Institution Holy Diocese of Nevrokop
Location Name Dobrinishte
Date of construction
1835 AD
Short Description The church is placed in the central part of the town. It was built in 1835. Structurally it is a three-nave pseudo-basilica with an apse in the east, two domes, a narthex and an open gallery in the south. In 1926 a beautiful stone belfry was added (substituting an older one made out of boards which burned out in 1913 during the Second Balkan War), the windows were widened, the drums of the domes were raised. The church itself and the fence that encloses it were built of stone.
The interior is divided into three naves by two colonnades. The columns are interconnected through arches. The floor of the temple is covered with plates. The walls are smoothly whitewashed. Along them and along the columns are placed the chairs for the laity. The Bishop’s Throne is elevated (by 2 steps) above the floor. In the eastern part of the naos there is yet another step that leads to the iconostasis. In 1867 the inner space of the church was enriched by drawings on the Bishop’s Throne, a pulpit, and a wood carved canopy placed into the altar.




Monument Classification
Monument type Immovable Monument
Monument type according to form
Monument type according to use
Monument type according to construction
Monument type according to location
Architectural type
Notes




Code
Code CHURCH0047

Other Codes
Source / Origin




Name
Monument Name Sts. Peter and Paul church in Dobrinishte
Source / Origin




Institution
Related Institution Holy Diocese of Nevrokop




Origin / Location
Location Name Dobrinishte
Address
Prefecture
Country
Coordinates Χ1
Coordinates Χ2
Coordinates Y1
Coordinates Y2
Coordinates Z1
Coordinates Z2
Meausurement Method
Measurement Accuracy
Geodetic Coordinate System
Notes
Map location




Short Description
Short Description The church is placed in the central part of the town. It was built in 1835. Structurally it is a three-nave pseudo-basilica with an apse in the east, two domes, a narthex and an open gallery in the south. In 1926 a beautiful stone belfry was added (substituting an older one made out of boards which burned out in 1913 during the Second Balkan War), the windows were widened, the drums of the domes were raised. The church itself and the fence that encloses it were built of stone.
The interior is divided into three naves by two colonnades. The columns are interconnected through arches. The floor of the temple is covered with plates. The walls are smoothly whitewashed. Along them and along the columns are placed the chairs for the laity. The Bishop’s Throne is elevated (by 2 steps) above the floor. In the eastern part of the naos there is yet another step that leads to the iconostasis. In 1867 the inner space of the church was enriched by drawings on the Bishop’s Throne, a pulpit, and a wood carved canopy placed into the altar.




Construction
Construction Phase -
Description of construction
Related Person -
Related Institution / Workshop -
Date of construction
1835 AD
Historical period -
Surrounding built environment
Construction technique
Architectural type
Construction materials
State of completion
Digital representation
Notes


Decoration
Decoration Phase Primary decoration
Decoration Type Painting
Decoration theme
Location of decoration Εικόνες Τέμπλου
Portable Icons
Description of decoration Regarding the frescoes, only 4 medallions with the images of the evangelists are preserved nowadays. The iconostasis was repainted. It has 3 doors and 5 horizontal decorative tiers which (as well as the Royal Gates) are embellished with a decorative woodcarving - the work of craftsmen from the region of Debar. The ten icons of the Sovereign tier were done by 4 icon-painters in 1835 and in the second half of 19th c. Some of those on the Apostle’s tier (82 pieces in two rows) were supposedly painted by Toma Vishanov.
The church preserves 4 icons: “Christ the Almighty”, “St. John the Baptist”, “St. Nicolas” and “St. Theodor Tiron”, which were taken from “The Dormition of the Virgin Mary” church that is now in ruins situated around 400 m to the southwest.
Related Person Toma Vishanov
Related Institution -
Date of decoration
19century AD
Decoration style
Decoration technique
Decoration materials
Condition of Decoration
Digital representation CRDGID:27 - Dobrinishte, Sts. Peter and Paul church, the Royal Doors



CRDGID:29 - Dobrinishte, Sts. Peter and Paul church, iconostasis



Notes -


Testimonies
Type of testimony Written
Date of testimony
2012 AD
Location of testimony -
Description of testimony Written informative text from the Diocese of Nevrokop
Related Person -
Related Institution Holy Diocese of Nevrokop
Notes -