Short Description
Short Description From the most ancient churches of Drama. It was within the walls of the fort and in 1830 it was forcibly converted into a Muslim shrine by the conqueror of Eastern Macedonia Murat A'. After many centuries it was attributed to Christian worship in 1913 when Drama was liberated, after the then bishop Agathangelos Mognis cleansed and sanctified it. During the excavation of the interior of the mosque the phiale was found, granite columns, some mural paintings in the apse of the sanctuary and inscriptions. The church is a transitional type domed temple with peristyle, but unfortunately the coats of lime, internally and externally, does not allow studying the existence of any murals or its masonry. The solidity of the building, the very good acoustics and its architecture reveal it as a very valuable historical and archaeological monument of our region. The church of St. Sophia, which was modeled as the namesake church of Thessaloniki, currently works as a parish.