Tuesday Dec 11
  
  1. Basic Information
  2. Classification
  3. Identification
  4. Documentation
  5. Correlations
  6. Rights
  7. Resources

St. Demetrios in Diavata

Record Elements print all
Record ID CRID:13
Type of record Single Monument
Date of record 03-11-2012
Registrar Natasa Michailidou
Rights for record
Notes -


Main Monument Table
Monument type Immovable Monument
Monument Code CHURCH0006
Monument Name St. Demetrios in Diavata
Related Institution Holy Diocese of Neapolis and Stavroupolis
Location Name Diavata in Thessaloniki
Date of construction
1852 AD
Short Description The old parish church of Diavata (Ntountoular) is one of the largest and oldest churches of the Holy Diocese. Built in the mid 19th century. (c. 1852) belongs to the prevalent type of the three-aisled basilica and, despite the austerity and simplicity of the construction materials, is a memorable architectural ensemble of the area around the city of Thessaloniki.
The collection of icons (about ninety) is equally interesting, as well as the wooden equipment with painted decoration (iconostasis, pulpit, bishop's throne), all contemporary with the construction of the church (1853-1854). The icons come from local artists with clear folk roots; they are of particular artistic and iconographic interest and reflect the artistic trends of religious painting in Macedonia in the last period of Ottoman rule, just before liberation (1839-1912).
The iconostasis and the pulpit stand out for their high quality of construction and aesthetic perfection and can be compared with similar projects of churches of Thessaloniki. Also, the frescoes of the church - rare for their time-do not follow an iconographic program and were obviously completed at different times by different folk artists. There is special interest in the unusual display of the seventy apostles peripherally in the upper zone of the central aisle.
The restoration and rehabilitation works of the building and subsequently the conservation works of the interior equipment and all the movable relics of the church, performed during the last two decades with an initiative by the "Rescue Committee of St. Demetrios in Diavata», restored the original character of the monument, eliminating the wear of time and the occasional interventions therein. The church of Diavata is now the 'jewel' of the ecclesiastical region of the Holy Diocese of Neapolis and Stavroupolis.